IF Only..

I've loved you since I met you.. but I wouldn't allow myself to truly feel it until today. I was always thinking ahead. Making decisions out of fear. Today, because of what I learned from you.. every choice I made was different and my life has completely changed. And I've learned that if you do that, you're living life fully. It doesn't matter if you have five minutes or fifty years. Samantha, if not for today, if not for you.. I would never have known love at all. So thank you for being the person who taught me to love and to be loved.

2008년 11월 18일 화요일

What's Bottom-Up processing? What's Top-Down processing?

What do you see in this picture?

It is the the picture of Rat Man of Bugelski and Alampay (1961). It is a good instruemtn to exlaining about Bottom-Up processing and Top-Down processing.

Let me take "perception" for example. If you perceive something from date in the outside world through your senses, it is called Bottom-Up processing. And if you perceive something, using your previous knowledge and expections, it is called Top-Down processing. It's because something abstract is considerd as "Top, while something concrete is considered as down.

That is, Top-Down processing occurs any time a higher-level concept influences your interpretation of lower level sensory data. If you see a lot of pictures of human faces before you see the picture above, you get to think that picture is a man wearing a glasses, on the other hand, if you see a lot of pictures of animals before you see the picture above, you come to think that picture is a mice.

This is a good example of Top-Down processing, because you previous knowledge influenced your perception.

댓글 없음: